Shut down Restart Problem....

RKMonty 15:46 27 Aug 05

When I shut down my pc or restart it,,,it hangs for 5 minutes trying to shut..... a message does flash up quicky...so cannot read it...down and sometimes just stays in limbo and I switch off to restart....could a prog be stuck and unable to close properly etc ??....any checks I can do...did try a restore but that hanged as well... Any advice gratefully received...thanks as always

Diodorus Siculus 15:53 27 Aug 05

click here
Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter

RKMonty 19:05 27 Aug 05

Is there an easy way to find out what program might not be shuting down quickly...so as to identify which program to look into ??

Diodorus Siculus 19:09 27 Aug 05

[quote]an easy way[/quote]

Yes, but not quick.

Go into msconfig and disable half of your programs; shutdown and see if it is ok. If yes, then is is one of those.

Enable half of them and so on. That will get you there by a process of elimination.

RKMonty 20:36 27 Aug 05

Not to confident about doing the config action....when I 'click turn' off pc....there is message that flashes up (beige box),....not enough time to read it...is there any other way of viewing this message that may quote the program that having probs with ??

RKMonty 12:30 29 Aug 05

have just been able to see a bit of the meaagae that flashes up....says Please wait plus oblong box underneath plus words below which cannot read..

Diodorus Siculus 12:35 29 Aug 05

How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

click here

Diodorus Siculus 12:37 29 Aug 05

How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

click here

RKMonty 20:34 31 Aug 05

Following my search to find reason for long shut down. I disconected pc from the internet and started pc and then shut down which was quick. I think I only have Spy Sweeper and Window Washer that auto connect to the internet when it's on...and when I just had WWasher alive it also shut down very quickly.
Am I assuming that SSweeperis the problem and can I prove it....any ideas welcomed....

ashdav 00:37 01 Sep 05

I tried Spysweeper a while ago and wasn't impressed. It didn't seem to do much other than intrude into the computer and slow it down. Strongly suggest you uninstall it and Window washer and use these instead click here click here Both are well recommended by users of this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…