Shut down problem XP Home

recap 09:05 07 Mar 03

Hope somebody can help with this one.

A friend has a Packard Bell computer (P111 600, 128mb ram), had XP Home installed over the top of Me. Since then she has been having problems with shutting the system down. Now she has to shut it off via the button on the tower and not via the shut down facility on the computer itself.

I have suggested she take it back to PCWorld to get XP cleanly installed on the system and not over ME. Would this be the best solution for the problem?

VoG™ 09:15 07 Mar 03

You didn't say whether it hangs on shutdown or restarts instead of shutting down. In any event this may help click here

If it is the "restarting" problem, a workaround is to log off, then shut down.

©®@$ђ 09:16 07 Mar 03

can you elaborate on why she cannot shutdown via the shutdown menu

start/turn off computer

what happens

recap 09:55 07 Mar 03

Sorry folks busy morning today, and thanks for replying so quickly.

After selecting the shut down option from "Start" it takes a couple of minutes for the screen to change, then it says "it is now safe to turn off your computer". When she had Me installed this never happend.

I thought this was an outdated shut down option?

Another thing of note, when she had it in PCWorld for a health check she requested a TV card to be intalled, guess what?

Yeah, you've guessed it, they never installed it.

powerless 10:01 07 Mar 03
  ©®@$ђ 10:04 07 Mar 03

Control Panel | Power Options
(or Rt-click desktop | Properties | Screen Saver | Power)

Click the APM Tab.
Read the message.
Check the box.

recap 12:06 07 Mar 03

Thanks for your suggestions everybody will look into to them later.

For the time being I will green tick this post, but will post the solution on this thread at a later time.

recap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…