Shut down problem - Norton Anti Virus?

green lantern 17:58 04 Aug 03

I am running Windows ME and fairly recently obtained Broadband Access via Openworld. Being sensible (so I thought) I installed Norton Anti Virus 2003. Now the machine only shuts down properly about 10% of the time. I have to switch the mains off, frequently without the "You can now switch your computer off" message. It is not infrequent that Scandisk then fires up on restarting.I have been to my local 'shop' who can demonstrate there is no problem on their premises but as soon as I connect up at home it refuses to close down. Any ideas?

xania 10:48 05 Aug 03

There are any number of reasons why shutdown problems arise. Worse still is the number of occasions when shut down takes forever. Bear in mind that Windows has to shut down everything that is loaded, including a large amount of file re-writes as part of the shut down process - you could find that your successful shutdowns coincide with shorter switched on times (like when you took the PC back to the shop??).

When was the last time you defragged your HD.

I had a 98SE system which took over 4 minutes to shut down when I installed DirectX 8.0, and I could only resolve the problem by a complete re-installation of Windows, which reduced the shutdown time to less than 20 seconds. If all else fails, this could be the time for you to restart

Andsome 11:00 05 Aug 03

I can see no reason for Norton to cause this kind of problem, otherwise they would go out of business.

green lantern 18:31 05 Aug 03

Thanks for the response. I have on occassions left it switched on and 1 hr later it has still not closed down. I take what you said about the length of switch on times but it doesn't always work the other way i.e. I can sometimes have it switched on for many hours and it will then shut down OK. I defragged only last week. Though i have tried to avoid it perhaps you are right and i need to do a complete re-install.

accord 18:37 05 Aug 03

what is your pc spec? CPU, RAM, HD,

do a ctl+alt+del to see what programs you are running and please report back. someone here might be able to help from this info.

cheers

Bodi 20:01 05 Aug 03

If you suspect Norton Antivirus - and it has caused problems on my computer (mainly because there were still aspects of a former version on the HD) - why not disable this before shutting down and see what happens?

Just a thought.

Bodi

steve12345 20:06 05 Aug 03

If you think Norton A/V MIGHT be the problem, have you tried uninstalling it to see if it cures it? You can always reinstall it again afterwards.

On one of my OLD PCs, I had Norton installed and it caused problems which I didn't attribute to Norton A/V. One day I uninstalled it and the problems dissappeared.

Worth a try anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…