Shut Down Freeze - XP

spuds 13:41 31 Dec 03

Recently had a computer upgrade and re-install of XP Home. I now have a problem on shut-down. The usual processes go through the motions including the final message of 'Windows is Shutting Down', but it doesn,t, it just freezes. Clrt-Alt-Del doe's nothing, so I have to take drastic steps in turning off the power and rebooting. A further problem that as occured over the past couple of days.On start-up the monitor configurations seem to have changed with a fuzzy screen effect.Error message appears asking if I want the computer to correct the configuration. I say yes, but the computer refuses to except command. Remedy resolve by complete re-boot. Help required in solving this problem.

VoG II 13:43 31 Dec 03

click here may help you with the shut down problem.

woodchip 13:44 31 Dec 03

remove graphics drivers and reinstall it sound like they are corrupt

woodchip 13:46 31 Dec 03

You could try this and see if it will still work.

Try this, right click Desktop\Properties\Settings\Advanced\Monitor\Change Choose a svga generic monitor and choose the resolution you want do not go too high or it will blow your monitor choose about 1000x700.

if it does remove the old drivers in safe mode the reinstall drivers

spuds 18:32 31 Dec 03

Thanks VoG and woodchip for coming to my rescue again. Checking through the link from VoG it could well be my recently installed Nero 5.5 programme. Looking further of possibly re-installing my older version of Roxio Easy, and that too would seem to have similar occassional freeze problems.I will try a few experiments to see if it is my cd burning programmes. Thanks again guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…