Shut down

123joey123 13:34 18 May 09

When I try to shut down my computer it restarts even though I click the shutdown button.
Windows XP Home. I have to shut down by holding the start button in. Any ideas,please?

rawprawn 13:44 18 May 09

Try Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

rawprawn 13:48 18 May 09

Also click here

123joey123 13:54 18 May 09

I ttried that Rawprawn but all I got was a blue screen so I have restored the settings. I tried to restore but it won't as I get a message 'inadvertent shut down'
Every thinh else seems to work ok

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:04 18 May 09

Check the power options in control panel and in the BIOS.

123joey123 08:55 20 May 09

An issue has developed from this that I need advice on.
I thought the best way to resolve it would be to run a repair programme.
The programme then asked for the administrators password.I'm pretty sure I didn't put an administrators password in. I just tried hitting'enter'and it just came up with c:/
A shove in the right direction on this would be appreciated
Thanks

rawprawn 09:40 20 May 09

You are right there is no password by default and hitting Enter should do it.
Does it ask for a pssword when you boot in Safe Mode?

123joey123 10:05 20 May 09

No, I can get in sage mode fine.

123joey123 11:06 20 May 09

For the benefit of the poor lost souls out there who are as confused as I am.
I opened the BIOS and inserted and saved an adminsitrators password.
The I went back to the repair programme and it informed me that the password was invalid. I did it again with a new password and the result was the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:09 20 May 09

Reset the Bios by using the clear BIOS jumper on the motherboard or by removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.

123joey123 11:21 20 May 09

Thanks Fruit Bat.I appreciate the help but I'm afraid your suggestions are beyond my miniscule skill.I'm very reluctantly thinking of a clean format-or a ten pound hammer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…