Shut down

capnsofa 17:45 01 Dec 03

My computer system is Windows 98 and every once in a while it refuses to shut down after I have pressed the appropriate button - I have left it for up to 20 minutes, without any success. I then press the power button on the front of the tower for a few seconds, which does the trick, but when I next switch on I receive a 'naughty boy' message and have to wait whilst a Scandisk is undertaken. Any suggestions ?
PS - forgive me if I am not using the correct technical phrases, but I'm fairly new to this !!

bremner 17:48 01 Dec 03

What you may need to look at is have you been running a particular program when this happens?

bremner 17:55 01 Dec 03

E mail from capnsofa

"Thanks for the suggestion - I will check which programs I run, but from memory, there did not seem to be a specific one."

It is always best to put all comments on the thread as it will benefit you and others with similar problems.

spikeychris 17:56 01 Dec 03

As bremner has said, if this is once in a while its more than likely a prog/app that is causing the problem. Press Ctrl Alt Del to see what is running when the shutdown issue occurs.

woodchip 18:21 01 Dec 03

Type MSCONFIG from Start/RUN disable fast shut down from the Advanced box

spikeychris 18:29 01 Dec 03

Hello Colin. Thought the same but its "every now and then" so it could be an App.

Have you heard how parts of Yorkshire are being reclaimed by Lancashire (not a joke, theres changes afoot)

woodchip 18:42 01 Dec 03

Hi Chris, Not bothered so long as they do not come over woodhead, If they try I shall be waiting!!!!!!. Yes it could be a Program that windows cannot shut down. The only way to find that out is to close everything other than System Tray, in MSCONFIG startup tab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…