Shrinking Hard Drive

SimonV 09:04 19 Jun 09

Hi i have an Acer Aspire X3200 with a 1TB HDD. It is split into two drives. I have started to notice that the drive that is used is losing up to 2GB a day in avaliable space. I have used WinDirSat to determine what is taking up all the avaliable space on the drive and have come across a dll file that is 12GB in size. Im not really too clever with computers but this does seem a little big. I have Mcafee installed could it have let a virus in? Please help i have only had the computer 3 weeks and really just dont understand.

SimonV 09:09 19 Jun 09

Sorry should i say all the Dll files total 12gb over 15000 files.

Monument 09:11 19 Jun 09

You do not say what operating system you are using.

If it is Vista then this could be the Shadow Copy facility backing up your system click here

SimonV 09:13 19 Jun 09

Sorry it is vista.

SimonV 09:15 19 Jun 09

It's only Home premium so i guess does not have that facility.

Technotiger 09:18 19 Jun 09
  interzone55 09:23 19 Jun 09

It'll be System Restore - it chews up huge amounts of space, and is not as easy to control as the XP version.

Either turn it off (not really advised to be honest) or do regular drive clean ups.

My Computer - right click on c: drive and select properties. The select Disk Cleanup. When it's done it's stuff choose what your happy for the system to delete then select the More Options tab. Click the bottom button and OK. This will delete all but the most recent Restore point. If your system is stable this is usually quite safe to do.
Click OK and you'll get lots of space back...

SimonV 09:27 19 Jun 09

Cheers Alan i got 7GB back from doing this. I had a Laptop before this with Vista and it never seemed to be this happy munching up my HDD.

SimonV 09:28 19 Jun 09

Just looked again its freed up over 30gb now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now