Shrinking Audio Files

Monoux 23:19 03 Jan 06

I am trying to get some old audio tapes onto CD and can get them onto my hard drive in AVI format. Some of the tapes are 1.5 hours long so exceed the available space on a single CD.
Is there any software ( preferably free of course) that I can use tom shrink the files to fit on one disc rather than use 2 discs for each tape ?.

T.I.A.

Diodorus Siculus 23:21 03 Jan 06

Cds can be made in two ways:

as audio which will be limited to (usually) 80 mins - although you can get them for 90 mins.

or

as data onto which you can burn them up to the 700mb capacity and then play the files on a PC.

Spike_2006 07:25 04 Jan 06

You could click here and find free compression software. Convert it to MP3.

Monoux 09:06 04 Jan 06

Thanks for the info folks. I was hoping there might be something for audio files equivelant to shrinking DVD files over 1 hour long onto a 1 hour DVD disc

Anybody know of one ?

Diodorus Siculus 09:19 04 Jan 06

The problem is that if a track (or number of tracks) play for 1 hour 30 minutes, no amount of shrinking will make it play for less without losing some of it.

Shrinking DVDs simply reduces the quality of the file and removes unnecessary data - it does not make the film on the DVD any shorter.

Monoux 09:40 04 Jan 06

Thanks for the info. I thought ( obviously wrongly ) that if it were possible to shrink a DVD , which includes an audio soundtrack, onto a smaller size disc it would be possible to just shrink audio. I can see where you are coming from with your explanation re DVD but don't understand why if a DVD soundtrack can shrink in size but play for the same amount of time it can't be done for audio alone. One of lifes mysteries I suppose. :0)

Diodorus Siculus 10:20 04 Jan 06

What is being shrunk with a DVD is the quality, not the time. Same with MP3 compression - it's audio quality, not time that is compressed. That's why there is a time limit on a CD as well as a data limit.

It's much more complicated than this but my simple brain is happy with seeing it like this and to me it makes some sense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…