Shrink Volume on Vista

themissingelf 17:04 12 Jan 08

Hi,
One of my hard disks contains Vista. It's a 250GB disk so I'd like to Shrink the volume to free up some space to make a Partition. However, when I use the shrink option, it says:

Total size before: 229334 MB
Size of available shrink: 78117 MB

I want to leave enough space for Vista (15GB I believe?), other programs, and any other OS updates etc.

I am surprised that I can only free up 78117 MB on a volume that is 77% free (176587 free MB's), however, I understand that this has something to do with unmovable files.

If I decide to shrink by the maximum allowable, will that mean that there remains 151271 MB for Vista or programs etc or will the unmovable files etc impose limitations on the available space?

Cheers

BurrWalnut 19:02 12 Jan 08

The shrink partition utility can only decrease the partition size down to the first unmovable/locked system file.

To get round this, temporarily turn off System Restore, do the shrink and turn System Restore back on. Running a defrag may also move some of the ‘unmovable’ files.

Alternatively, you can shrink partitions by running the diskpart command from the Vista DVD, which avoids the occurrence of locked files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant