Should we let well alone.......updates and such.

Magik ®© 13:26 18 Jun 03

hi, My desktop PC is running win98se, and i spend hours sorting it out, only to fix it before it plays up again, it has had more patches put in it to correct faults than i care to remember,in fairness to it, every time an update comes out for a programme it is running i put it in, new drivers for this and new drivers for that, it goes on and on.....anyway, last year i got a Dell laptop, the only things i have put in that are,Adobe photo-shop,wireless network card,and things like Irfanview and such, and it has never played up once, it just runs and runs, day in day out..there is a lot to be said for.

"if it aint broke don't fix it"

mikef. 13:31 18 Jun 03

True, BUT most critical updates from M$ are for security purposes so these, in my mind are pretty essential to download.

graham√ 14:04 18 Jun 03

The security updates are of no interest to me, if anybody wants to spend their time and money looking inside my PC they're welcome!

Magik ®©, I reckon your laptop runs XP, right? Say no more!

The Spires 14:14 18 Jun 03

Today I updated Acoustica Cd Labeller from ver 1.25 to 1.28, now I could have left well alone but the update contained some nice new features plus extra art, well worth the download & reinstall, however it could have caused me problems. There are risks to updating obviously & I noticed on the ATI graphics driver page that they do not recommend upgrading your drivers unless you are having issues. However I enjoy updating despite the fact that not leaving well alone has caused me many headaches.

Magik ®© 14:16 18 Jun 03

hi, yes it does.....like you, anyone can look at my PC, in fact it is open house, going on from there, when i was doing the wireless network thing, i posted in here a few times and no way could i get it going, until a guy called chris came on and offered to do it by remote assistance, the win98 pc and the XP laptop, it was odd sitting here with the mouse cursor going all over the place, clicking this and that,it took him over an hour, but he did it.....so if anyone wants access, it is yours.....

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:36 19 Jun 03

On the computer running 98SE I have never downloaded an update since 1999. Personally, unless there is an all-compelling reason, I never update the OS or any programmes. I never have a problem with the computer. AVG takes care of the viruses and the chance of getting hacked is so remote that I don't give a pigs' burp. I have a feeling that people have to update because they are free, there is rarely a logical reason for doing so.

G

The Spires 00:45 19 Jun 03

I have a friend who runs Windows 95 and for several years turned the pc off at the wall socket every day & had no idea about close down procedure. She never updated it & had no anti-virus software, the strange thing is the pc booted up each and everytime without problem and was used most of the day playing Cd's & office 95.

jimv7 00:49 19 Jun 03

I have to agree with GANDALF <|:-)>, 'basically, if it ain't broke don't foix it'.

Totally-braindead 01:25 19 Jun 03

I'm afraid I agree with Gandalf as well. Up until a year ago I always watched for new drivers and updates and downloaded them as soon as they were available. Now I've changed my mind, in the past 6 months or so I've had so much bother with updated drivers and patches causing my computer to crash or lock up that I leave well alone. The only exception to this is the updates to my antivirus it would be extremely foolish for me to ignore this. In some cases update do make the computer work better but in other cases, what a hassle it can cause. I leave it alone now and at least it works when I want it to.

ton 01:48 19 Jun 03

I agree with "if it aint broke etc".
I run Win98se on this PC and I can't remember my last BSOD.
I don't bother with M/Soft updates as security is not a worry for me. There is nothing on my PC that would interest anyone else. I don't know why people are so obsessed with 'so called' security.
Anything else, I update if I can see an advantage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…