Should a modem/router be turned off

LinH 20:35 09 May 06

Should a modem\router be turned off with the rest of the equipment when finished with or should it be left on all the time?

What's the general viewpoint please.

LinH

Jackcoms 20:41 09 May 06

It depends how paranoid (or otherwise) you are.

I use BB, but I ALWAYS disconnect whenever I'm away from the PC for any length of time.

I NEVER have an 'always on' connection.

alexgray104 20:41 09 May 06

I turn mine off - Only due to the fact that if the router is PHYSICALLY OFF, no virus can get in, no matter how good it is. Not that they use a lot of power, it also saves on the electric!

ade.h 20:51 09 May 06

I don't think of it from a security standpoint, but my router is off during the night because it gets very hot in use.

wallbash 21:11 09 May 06

Apart from a power cut, have not turned mine off since last years holiday, and wont bother turning off again til the next one in August!

VoG II 21:15 09 May 06

Same as wallbash.

wallbash 21:15 09 May 06

to ade.h quote very hot in use.
Would be a touch concerned if mine got hot, but have just checked and they are not really even warm .

I have a us Robotics, would you care to tell us your manufacturer, to see if it is normal

Dipso 21:16 09 May 06

FWIW I leave mine on. They are meant to be left on but there's no on/off switch on mine anyway so I would have to switch off at the plug which isn't handy.

Anyone considering upgrading to the new Max DSL faster broadband connections are advised to leave them on for the first 10 days at least so the line can establish its best speed profile.

ade.h 22:09 09 May 06

It's a Belkin. All the Belkins that I have used/set up for people have run pretty hot.

I would switch it off when not in use anyway, but I don't leave a room empty with the lights on either!

Batch 10:38 10 May 06

Mine is on all the time now, mostly because problems can arise when reconnecting to the ISP (UKOnline). I know this should't happen, but it does. So I play safe and leave it on to maintain the connection.

It's a 3Com (and runs quite cool)

Shortstop 10:45 10 May 06

ade.h - I have a Belkin router & a cellpipe modem/router. Neither is turned off unless I am away from the house for +3 days & my router does not run hot?!

Regards,

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…