Should i wipe my PC entirely?will it speed up?

floydy50 11:42 09 Sep 05

My PC is currently 3 years old and starting to slow a little.

Its: HP 722UK
AMD Athlon 1.8
256 DDR Ram
40 GB Hrd drive

I think it has lots of spyware, old programs and general garbage on it which is slowing it down.

If I wipe it, what would I need to get it back working as new?

What would be the best way to do this?

thanks for all suggestions.

mattyc_92 11:47 09 Sep 05

What Operating System (so I, or another member can guide you through formatting and installing)?

Yes, it will speed it up, BUT you MUST make sure you have all the installation disks for your software and the correct drivers for your hardware

Thalmus 11:49 09 Sep 05

Yeah that should do the job, you will need a copy windows. When you install it will ask you if you want to format first choose yes.

Or if you got OEM version of windows with your computer pop the disk in and restart the computer and it will return it to the state when it left the factory.

Make sure yo uback up all of your documents and important work first! Also when it has finnished installing make sure you install a good AV, firewall and spyware tool

Diodorus Siculus 11:58 09 Sep 05

Many HP machines come with recovery disks, I believe; that will restore it to its state as new.

This will not necessarily be optimised for speed but for security / ease of use so after that do some tuning up on it.

Stuartli 12:21 09 Sep 05

If you have XP you can do a Repair (NOT Recovery Console) installation which will preserve all your current programs, applications, configuration etc.

Numerous threads on how to do it...:-)

floydy50 12:26 09 Sep 05

I have just checked an unfortunately do not have any of the start-up disks or anything like that.

Is this something i could get from HP directly?

I'm running windows XP at the mo. And can get the new windows programs disks, just not the base disk??

Is there somewhere I can download these from?

thanks

Chegs ® 12:47 09 Sep 05

click here

Removes a heap of crud from PC's.

Reg Cleaner. click here

Windows Registry :
Ensures system stability, configuration and performance is optimal.

BHO Manager :
Removes unused internet explorer plug-ins, to ensure a faster internet experience.

Device Driver Cleanup :
Frees up hard disk space and boosts system performance by removing device drivers that are no longer in use.

Startup Program Optimization :
Removes unnecessary programs being loaded at startup to allow for faster system booting.

I dont use Reg cleaners due to them invariably destroying my windows installs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…