Should I use winxp to set up wireless network?

SANAP 16:08 16 Dec 06

I am getting a bit miffed, I have a few books on wireless, yes PC advisor is one but and this is the big but, I get the option to use the router suppliers software or windows xp but what is the best way and the easiest? I want to make it secure but how do I know if my pc's will accept wpa psk?? And then I have to enter a keyphrase but what characters do I use?? Can I just go alpha and numeric? I can get the thing working as an open network on the laptop but I got to chose ad hoc on the pc downstairs!! When I ask the pc downstairs why it will not conncect wirelss it says " Your router is not sending an IP address"!
And last might when I had all 3 working they got incredibly slow.

All I need is a simple step by step. I have xp pro on all pc's laptop, its netgear dg834pn. It looks easy but it is not. BUT I am going to make it work.

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 16 Dec 06

click here

1.Open Network Connections

2.Right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.

3.On the Wireless Networks tab, do one of the following:

To enable automatic wireless network configuration, select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box. This check box is selected by default.

To disable automatic wireless network configuration, clear the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

4.To connect to an existing wireless network, do one of the following:

Access point (infrastructure)
To connect to an existing access point (infrastructure) network, under Available networks, click the network name, and then click Configure.

In Wireless Network Properties, specify the wireless network key (Wired Equivalent Privacy) settings, or, if the network key is automatically provided for you (for example, the key is stored on the wireless network adapter given to you by your administrator), select the The key is provided for me automatically check box. If you are unsure about whether a network key is needed or which settings you need to enter, contact your network administrator or the wireless network adapter manufacturer.

Important
If a network does not broadcast its network name, it will not appear under Available networks. To connect to an access point (infrastructure) network that you know is available but that does not appear under Available networks, under Preferred networks, click Add. In Wireless Network Properties, specify the network name (Service Set Identifier) and, if needed, the wireless network key settings.

5.To configure a new wireless network connection, click Add, and then do the following:

In Wireless Network Properties, specify the network name (Service Set Identifier) and, if needed, the wireless network key settings.

6.To change the order in which connection attempts to preferred networks are made, under Preferred networks, click the wireless network that you want to move to a new position on the list, and then click Move up or Move down.

7.To change the wireless network connection settings for a network that is listed in Preferred networks, click the wireless network for which you want to change settings, click Properties, and then change the settings as needed.

8.To remove a wireless network from the list of preferred networks, under Preferred networks, click the wireless network that you want to remove, and then click Remove.

9.To update the list of available networks that are within range of your computer, click Refresh.

10.To automatically connect to available networks that do not appear in the Preferred networks list, click Advanced, and then select the Automatically connect to non-preferred networks check box.

dms05 16:42 16 Dec 06

Always use the XP WiFi Manager. Always! Don't load the WiFi Utility from the manufacturer. If you have uninstall it.

Passwords for WEP can usually be something like 6a 5b 21 36 5f (ie 10 in total using 0-9 and a-f). WPA will ask for more.

But stick with the XP setup and above all don't try to mix the XP and manf utility!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5