Should I upgrade my IBM Aptiva or buy new?

Quince 14:47 29 May 07

I have a IBM Aptiva, 5.5 years old, Pentium 3 795Mh, 128mb, 19.5 gb disk (plenty of free space), USB1, Win98SE.

This box is ultra-reliable, built like a tank. Except for wearing out 2 mice, the hardware has not blinked from new, including a house move.

Should I upgrade to XP or scrap it & get a new computer? Increasingly, I find there are things I cannot do, and I would like a DVD writer and Ethernet & Firewire ports. More storage may also be needed.

The cost of a 98 to XP upgrade looks extortionate at around £80 (more than plain XP), and overall I would need to spend well over £100. This sounds silly against the price of a new machine, but is it worth it to buy time - might new PC's be better & cheaper in a year's time?

It seems a matter of judgement. I would appreciate an opinion.

Technotiger 14:57 29 May 07

Hi, my personal opinion is that you should buy new, plenty of options at click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:18 29 May 07

click here for £329 inc. VAT, delivery, Vista and 19" tft monitor it is a no-brainer.

G

€dstowe 15:19 29 May 07

Tarting up an old machine to run like a modern one is rarely successful and usually involves a lot of expenditure - upgrade one part and another needs upgrading to match, and so on. In the end you will have a machine that is patched up and not very good.

Best to go for a new one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 29 May 07

Agree prices are so low. its cheaper to buy new. keep the old one as backup and storage.

keef66 16:17 29 May 07

new pc's will always be better and cheaper next month, never mind next year.

My advice is to buy a new one, go for something based on an Intel Core 2 Duo, with Vista Home Premium, and all the components, ports and connectors you desire. As GANDALF <|:-)> points out, Dell are hard to beat at the moment (possibly because of the Dollar / Pound exchange rate?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now