Should i swap or am i getting ripped off?

Waffelmaniaa 20:03 PM 15 Jan 13

Okay so i was looking to build myself a new computer, Mid range. around 350-400 pounds. To get some of this money i was selling my laptop on gumtree for around 190 pounds so this guy rings me up after seeing my ad and says to me, would you like to swap a desktop pc for your laptop. I asked him for the specs of his PC and he tells me its a 'server ' motherboard or something. links me this http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/Xeon800/E7525/X6DAL-G.cfm tells me that his graphics card is onboard, and he has 2 AMD 3.3GHz bulldozer Processers that he will give me with it. what do i do ?

Ian in Northampton 20:09 PM 15 Jan 13

Well, I'd be very surprised if that motherboard is worth £190.

Hmmm... See here, though.

If it really is worth that, you might be getting a) a bargain, or b) far more than you want/need for a £300-400 PC. Is he offering you just the motherboard, or a complete system built around this motherboard?

Woolwell 20:11 PM 15 Jan 13

Is it used? If so it sounds like an ex-server which may have been used extensively by a business. Some of these have been sold cheaply on e-bay. You don't mention your laptop specs. Personally I would steer clear.

Woolwell 20:13 PM 15 Jan 13

Ps what is he offering? A fully built desktop or a motherboard plus CPU's? What do you want the new pc to do?

Waffelmaniaa 20:34 PM 15 Jan 13

I think i have decided to stay clear of this as i dont trust it, He is offering me a full PC build. Allso says he plays modern warfare 2 on it etc but i want a gaming pc that will be able to run battlefield 3 on medium-high graphics atleast.

finerty 06:48 AM 16 Jan 13

be weary, might be to good to be true, unless its off the backof a lorry.

Ian in Northampton 09:09 AM 16 Jan 13

Waffelmaniaa: you may want the challenge of buiding it yourself. However, for Christmas, I got my son the new gaming machine he wanted from ViBox (with whom I have no relationship other than as a very satisfied customer). For just north of £400, it included a quad core AMD FX4100 overclocked to 4.0GHz, 8GB of RAM and a GTX560SE. He can now play BF3 on the settings he wants - and also Planetside, which I understand is a graphically even more demanding game.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone