Should I spend money updating my laptop or buy new

Nat 03 16:38 07 Sep 10

Hi,
I have a Acer TravelMate 240 15.0" XGA TFT LCD, Intel Celeron 2.8GHZ, 1*256Mb DDR SDRAM, 30GB Ultra ATA/100 HDD,
CD-RW/DVD-Rom All I want to do with it is to be able to access the internet while away from my base. dont want to play games or connect to a printer. Only I have had it a few years now.
Any comments would be great Thanks All.

MAJ 17:04 07 Sep 10

"All I want to do with it is to be able to access the internet while away from my base."

If that's all you REALLY want to do with it, then it'll be fine if you add some more RAM click here and have at least XP and IE8 or the latest other browser (Firefox for example) installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:37 07 Sep 10

I have an even older laptop than that (win 2k) is still OK for internet e-mails and DVDs while away from home. If that is all you want to do with yours then no need to anything.

Unless of course your just hankering after an excuse for a new one :0)

grey george 20:24 07 Sep 10

You could spend money on more ram and a bigger faster drive, but for what you want a clean install of the OS would probably yield a swifter machine. Of course this doesn't satisfy the desire for a shiny new gadget.

woodchip 20:33 07 Sep 10

Apart from the above, there is little you can update on a Laptop. both Have been mentioned, a New Bigger Faster Hard Drive and at least one Gig Ram

Woolwell 20:42 07 Sep 10

You may want to check that the battery is ok. Had to replace a battery on a 3 yr old laptop.

Nat 03 14:33 08 Sep 10

Thanks Everyone, For your help didnt want to buy a new one but my local shop tryed to tell me I needed to. But you are not trying to sell me anything, Had a new Bat in it 3 months ago but will put more Ram in it Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…