Should I replace my Hard Drive?

Tycho 17:12 29 Nov 04

I have had this computer for about 6 years now and have no reason to believe that the HD is about to become faulty. I am wondering if, just as a safety measure, I should replace it or at least add another against the evil day when this one finally wears out.

When I get another I would imnagine that I would transfer all my data and the operating (W2K) system to the new one. Can I just copy all of the directories from one HD to the other to achieve this? Will the computer boot from the new HD after I have done it?

I look forward to your advice.

Diodorus Siculus 17:15 29 Nov 04

Yes, it might be advisible to have a secondary disk as a backup, or even use the current disk as the backup and transfer your OS onto the new one.

xxcopy will do the job; the new disk may also come with software that will transfer everything for you.

jack 17:18 29 Nov 04

With a six year old machine, you may replace the drive but it is likely that your MotherBoard/Bios
et/al will not be able to take advandage of the large capacity drives bow available.
It is time perhaps to start afresh,

jack 17:18 29 Nov 04

With a six year old machine, you may replace the drive but it is likely that your MotherBoard/Bios
et/al will not be able to take advandage of the large capacity drives bow available.
It is time perhaps to start afresh,

Tycho 17:26 29 Nov 04

Thanks for the thoughts everone.

Jack: My motherboard details as taken using Belarc Advisor are:

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. i440BX-8671
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 12/01/98

Will this take a large HDD?

PSF 17:26 29 Nov 04

If you do replace it as jack says don't go for the very big drives, ie over 120 gb, it might be safer to go for 60-80gb. If the drive does not come with s/w you can go to the manufactures site and download the same s/w free.

With the s/w you will be able to copy the contents from one drive to the other. It will then make the new one the main drive. There are jumper settings to change then. The Western Digital drives talk you through the entire operation. They even show you pictures of the settings. It also is Windows based which can be easier if the other drive still works.

You cannot just copy the drive by copy/paste as there hidden files that need to be copied as well.

Tycho 17:42 29 Nov 04

I think that I have another prenet to add to my Christmas list!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…