Should I renew previously free sub to Norton AV?

Carafaraday 16:20 25 Sep 04

Norton AV and firewall came 'free' with my new pc but the two months of 'free' use are now almost at an end and I am debating whether to pay for a year's sub or whether to go for the free AV that everyone recommends on this forum - can't remember it's name at the moment. My problem is really just that Norton is behaving OK at the moment (on my old pc I had McAfee which was a bit temperamental) and I don't know how easy it will be to get rid of Norton, or whether it will conflict with a different (free) AV.
I am running XP but without the 2nd update thingie (I'm reserving judgement on that too!). As you can tell, I'm not too confident about techie things.
Advice, encouragement etc all most welome.

Diodorus Siculus 16:27 25 Sep 04

Avast from click here is not the one that everyone suggests (!) (That's AVG from grisoft.com) but I love it. Seems to use fewer resources than does AVG.

As a firewall I use Sygate Personal from sygate.com

Diodorus Siculus 16:28 25 Sep 04

Oh, and be sure to uninstall NAV / Firewall according to the symantec instructions before installing another.

Carafaraday 16:33 25 Sep 04

Thanks for your replies - I'll certainly look at Avast as well as AVG - It's just that I'm a bit worried about how easy Norton AV + firewall will be to uninstall. I'll check out the Symantec web page now to see what they say.
Should I uninstall Norton first?
What about a firewall - I understand that SP2 has one for Windows XP but that it's not highly regarded?

hugh-265156 16:35 25 Sep 04

norton is very good no doubt about it but i find free avg and free zonealarm to be every bit as good and much easier to configure and use, why not give them a try and if you dont like them then pay for norton. click here click here

ps. do not run more than one firewall and antivirus at a time on your system as it will give you problems. uninstall norton before installing any other av or firewall product. click here

Carafaraday 16:38 25 Sep 04

huggy71 - I take it that there is no conflict between Zonealarm and AVG and that they run along together ok? That's one of the things I'm worried about. Also the lack of 'help' if things go wrong with a freebie.

Cook2 16:40 25 Sep 04

I'm with Diodorus Siculus on this one.

Cook2 16:40 25 Sep 04

I'm with Diodorus Siculus on this one.

Cook2 16:43 25 Sep 04

Oh yes, and this click here is another really good freebie.

Cook2 16:43 25 Sep 04

Oh yes, and this click here is another really good freebie.

hugh-265156 16:45 25 Sep 04

ZA firewall and AVG antivirus work very well together on my computer and give no problems. like any software though you may be unlucky and your specific system set up gives problems. you will just have to try them and see but i doubt you will have any problems.

ps. both programs have excellent help files and its all explained in plain english.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…