Should I Renew My McAfee Subscription?

NotSureBoutThis 21:54 27 Jul 07

Hi

In 2 weeks my McAfee security suite expiries, and I'm wondering which Anti virus, firewall software I should choose.

As I'm only a novice with computers, I have used McAfee for it's convenience, and security.

At present, this is what I have installed (Free)

Superantispyware

Ad Adaware

S&D

CCleaner.

I'm not sure whether I should renew my McAfee subscription, or try a free one, any advice or recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

sinbads 22:07 27 Jul 07

most members advise using avg or avast the choice is yours
click here
click here

skidzy 22:21 27 Jul 07
  Ashrich 23:46 27 Jul 07

click here and look at the scores , all the popular free ones got awful scores ( Avast , AVG ect. ) look at the percentage marks at the bottom of the columns , it'll give you a better idea that you get what you pay for as far as Anti Virus goes . As for an excellent firewall for XP , Comodo is hard to beat .

Ashley

NotSureBoutThis 12:37 29 Jul 07

Hi

Thanks for the info, not sure if it contradicts what Ashrich is saying re awful scores.

Ashley, I tried that link, it says site not found: click here

mike1967 12:48 29 Jul 07

If you are happy with Mcafee pay to renew the subscription. I pay for it although my company use it so I do get reduced rates.
Home much are the renewal costs?

Will Hs 12:55 29 Jul 07

I've been advised to use AVG with Windows Firewall, or Zone Alarm. I'm no expert though!

skidzy 13:06 29 Jul 07

My advise if freebies are what you want (have served me fine for years and many others).

AVG av + Zonealarm or Comodo firewall
Avast av + Zonealarm or Comodo firewall

I think you will find one of these combinations will be fine for your needs.

Look at my link above,all the info is there for all you will need.

Though do add something like Acronis or Norton Ghost as your backup...not free though.

skidzy 13:06 29 Jul 07

My advice not my advise..sorry typo :-)

Press Man 16:28 29 Jul 07

If you want paid for anti virus protection, I would recommend Kaspersky Anti Virus 6, along with the free version of Zonealarm. See September PCA DVD for Kaspersky AV 6.

Strawballs 19:05 29 Jul 07

I have McAfee on one machine and AVG on the other 2 it is up to you.I do like the firewall with McAfee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…