Should I power Down....

Chrisann 14:00 21 Jan 03
  Chrisann 14:00 21 Jan 03

This is my question: When I leave my computer for a while switched on I have a Screensaver which comes on but I do not go into Standby or anything....I tried going into Standby a couple of times but when returning to the computer nothing worked and I had to switch off via the processor so now I just leave it.
Firstly is it o.k.to do this...and secondly am I using more electric this way.

Chrisann.

Tog 14:15 21 Jan 03

Yes it's OK to leave it on but you'd do well to use a surge protector for the mains in and your internet connection.

Yes it uses more electricity.

skeletal 14:37 21 Jan 03

I have found Windows is very un-reliable when powering up after standby, so I do much as you do. The slight difference is my screen saver is the one that make the screen go blank. This will save a tiny amount of electricity and very slightly prolong the monitor life.

I leave the computer on all day, but turn it off overnight. This seems to be a reasonable comprimise to all the arguments on this topic!

Skeletal

©®@$ђ 14:47 21 Jan 03

if you want to investigate the actual problem causing standby not to wakeup

you should troubleshoot power managment

if you have windows 98

click here

Djohn 14:49 21 Jan 03

Leave mine on all the time, just switch the monitor off before I go to bed, or if I am not using it for a long period in the day.

Chrisann 15:46 21 Jan 03

Thankyou all for answering my question Yes I do have a surge protector and don't leave the computer on over night or during severe storms. It is Windows 2000 edition but if others don't power down then I guess it is o.k. Thanks again..
Chrisann.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…