Should I opt for Firewire on a new PC?

Spruance 17:36 11 Nov 05

I am in the process of configuring a new - Evesham - PC, and wondered if there was any value in getting one with the Firewire option pre-installed.

As I understand it, Firewire can cut down on cable clutter and can make downloading from digital cameras easier.

Are there any other benefits?

As far as the cable clutter is concerned, I am not too bothered about that as the PC will be in a back bedroom on a purpose built double-decker PC Desk which I bought 5 years ago. This has cable runs and slots in all the right places so the clutter is out of sight.

I don't have a laptop, nor do I foresee getting one, so effectively all the computer activity is centered on said back bedroom.

I just wondered if there was anything 'In the pipeline' that would make a Firewire card the thing to have.

DieSse 17:54 11 Nov 05

Relatively few things need Firewire - but plenty of USB2 ports are a good thing.

If it's pretty cheap (should be!) - then I would get the Firewire option *just in case*.

ACOLYTE 18:20 11 Nov 05

I have a firewire adapter,i dont know what they are used for though,lol it came with the mobo so i installed it.

wee eddie 18:22 11 Nov 05

The latest version of Firewire is faster than USB2.

Although few things require Firewire, my Maxtor External 250Gb drive appears to be faster on that than it is on USB2. This is my perception and I have no proof.

ventanas 21:38 11 Nov 05

I use it for external drives. Check what they are charging. You can buy a PCI card for not much more than a tenner.

PC Bilbo 22:57 11 Nov 05

You only really need this option if you are intend to download a lot from a digicam straight to your pc I really only ever use mine for this purpose.

As others have stated, it would also be faster than USB2 if you want to connect an external Hard Drive.

josie mayhem 23:00 11 Nov 05

when considering firewire or not, where do you want to go with your PC, my digicam uses both usb and firewire but, you can only transfer video via the firwire connection.

My external hhd, also uses both connection, here I refer to use the firewire rather than usb2.2.

IMHO if you can have the firewire installed, with out effecting availability of usb ports then go ahead, you're never know when it might come in handy.

Bagsey 23:14 11 Nov 05

If you have any thoughts on video editing the firewire is a must as the majority of video cameras use firewire as the defacto standard for transfering video from camera to PC.

Totally-braindead 23:19 11 Nov 05

If the motherboard has firewire then fair enough but I for one wouldn't be paying a great deal extra for it as I have it on my motherboard but have never used it. If I was opting for a new PC I'd be more interested in USB 2.0 (which I think they all have now), PCI Express for the graphics and SATA for the harddrives. You can always add a firewire card later if you find you need it.

TonyAA 00:07 12 Nov 05

You can now buy a firewire800 pci card IEEE 1394b which uses 9 pins but with an adaptor cable you can use it with older firewire devices.Not much out at the moment that you can use it with at full bandwidth.Seen them at £40.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…