Should I increase RAM?

remusportia 18:33 28 Sep 05

My system is Athlon XP 2000+, motherboard Gigabyte GA-7VA Rev.1.0, with 256 MB RAM PC2700. There are 2 hard discs and a Pioneer DVD Writer.
Every so often I tape and edit productions for my local Drama Group, and then produce Videos or DVDs. These shows can be up to 2 hours long. I use Video Studio 6 for capturing and editing and Nero 6 for the DVDs. Rendering takes a year and a day and I am wondering if increasing the RAM will have any substantial effect. Also, if I attempt to capture straight to MPEG, after about 2 minutes, the camera goes on pause whilst the frame buffer is flushed; capturing then restarts but usually a few frames are dropped. The board will take up to 3GB. Can anybody give any sort of guidelines as to what effect increasing the RAM will have and how incremental (or otherwise)such increases are likely to be?

sharkfin 18:48 28 Sep 05

Upgrading RAm is one of the best and most effective methods of increasing performance. Easpecially if performing tasks such as video editing, Burning, graphic rendering etc as these are processor and memory intensive. For your purposes, I would definately recommend it. You will notice quicker nippier performance and video rendering/editing, burning will be a little faster.

wee eddie 20:31 28 Sep 05

This should tell you almost all you need to know, except how to pay for it.

click here

Match the speeds as RAM runs at the speed of the slowest. A 512Mg stick should give you some pretty impressive results, giving you a total of 768Mg. You can add more but you're then into diminishing returns.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…