Should I have partitioned HDD

GBL 16:57 27 Oct 05

When I installed the 80gig HDD should I have partitioned it??
What are the benefits??

What size should I have gone for??

Now that I have problems with the operation system I am thinking that I should have partitioned the drive and put the OS in one partition and the programs etc in the rest.
Would all the drivers etc have gone onto that section automatically??

My thinking is that all I need to have done now would be format the partition with the OS in and reinstall, then all other data would be preserved. Am I correct??

Next if I copy what I need to save onto a DVD can I copy back onto the HDD later??

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:04 27 Oct 05

There is no point in partitioning a HD if you are using XP and even lesspoint if you have valuable info on the HD. If there is a real problem and the disk goes kaboom! then you are well and truly up the proverbial creek. Buy an external HD (around ?45 for a 40Gb one) and use this as backup or to store a drive image. Partitioning is soooooo twentieth century;-))

G

GBL 18:13 27 Oct 05

I had thought about a second HDD, I think the smallest now is about a 40 gig and cost around ?30.00, then I could move stuff over and then format etc.
This brings another question on how do I save emails etc from Outlook ES.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:50 27 Oct 05
  GBL 19:36 27 Oct 05

GANDALF
Thanks will give it a whirl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…