550W OCZ Fatal1ty Modular Power Supply
1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD
Hitachi 250GB SATA Hard Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Quiet Intel CPU Cooler
Xigmatek Midgard case
Xigmatek Midgard case
Mionix Saiph 3200 gaming mouse
Saitek Eclipse 111 keyboard

A tad pricey perhaps but I gave up smoking almost a year ago and due to a prolonged bout of ill health have not really been spending much cash.
So would it be a wise decision to finish this rather fast PC with an SSD harddrive, I am only thinking 64GB as anything bigger would be hard to justify as far as cost is concerned.The good lady would already be a tad miffed if she knew how much I had already spent.
I think 64GB should be enough if I move all of the " My folders " to the 1 Terabyte harddrive. Is this the right way to go?

JohnWilliams 10:25 25 Jan 10

It can't make much more of a dent in your wallet. Then go for it.

Batch 11:17 25 Jan 10

What are you anticipating placing in the SSD? Especially as you say: "I think 64GB should be enough if I move all of the " My folders " to the 1 Terabyte harddrive. Is this the right way to go?"

Depending on the difference in the transfer times (read / write) for the SSD versus a conventional HDD, the main advantage seems to be the avoiding the latency inherent in HDDs with seeks (i.e. the time it takes to move the read/write heads from one cylinder to another). If you were to be intensely (i.e. in a very short space of time)accessing a lot of files (or a lot of file fragments), then the SSD may well be worthwhile; otherwise, maybe not.

shellship 12:40 25 Jan 10

Conventional wisdom seems to be that you should use your SSD for system files only. Supposed to speed start up etc. Read an article about this recently but it can't have been PCA - probably another PC mag - bad lad me.

gengiscant 12:58 25 Jan 10

That was my understanding,I have just moved all my music, pictures, documents and films to another partition on my 1 Terabyte drive and have discovered that my main C drive is well below the 64GB in fact it is only 26GB in size now.
I already have all my games on another partition. so I feel,hang the expense,lets go for it.
One other bonus I think they are only 2.5 in size so will fit the laptop I intend to buy shortly if thing do not work out with the desktop.

Batch 15:10 25 Jan 10

A fair chunk (possibly 7 - 15GB) of your C drive (based on the spec you've listed) will probably be the page file and hibernate file.

The hibernate file is only used when going into or out of hibernate mode and so is of little import from an overall performance aspect.

People often suggest having the page file on a separate physical drive (if you happen to have one) so that paging conflicts less with other disk activities. This might be less of an issue with SSD as long as transfer bandwidth is adequate. In any event, with 6GB of memory you may not be paging much anyhow!

Ultimatley, if you discount the page and hibernate files, the 26GB comes down even more. By way of contrast on my 1GB WinXP system, the system partition (OS and pgms) is just 6GB used (of which the page and hibernate files make up 1.75GB).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…