Should i get a wireless router

dave_the_red 11:39 02 Apr 06

Hi, I have been having issues running games, teamspeak software and xfire at the same time.

Basically either my gaming is really laggy, my voice cant be hread on teamspeak or my xfire goes haywire. I have a few lag issues when just playing a game alone too.

My setup is sufficient enough that i dont think it is my pc that cant keep up, i am sure it is something to do with my usb modem.

I have been advised to get a router as apparently that handles connections to lots of different softwar eat once much better and also because i am running my adsl from a telephone extension at the moment and if i got a router then i would not need to. I could hook it up to my main telephone socket and then connect wirelessly.

I am just not sure how much of a difference this would make.

Any thoughts?

Ps i am on a 2mb adsl connection, with the standard sagem usb modem that came with it/

Thanks

dms05 11:43 02 Apr 06

Maybe you should look at the actual speed of your ADSL connection first click here and see what you get after selecting which server to use for the test.

dave_the_red 11:54 02 Apr 06

Done that, i got 1111 kbps

It is not unusual for my speed not to touch anywhere near the 2mb i am supposed to have to be honest.

Pineman100 17:28 02 Apr 06

The 2MB that you're contracted for is almost certainly a maximum figure. This speed will be degraded according to how many of the (probably) 50 other people who are in contention with you happen to be using the line at the same time.

On the subject of a wireless router, I use a Belkin router/adsl modem on my main phone socket, communicating with my (one) computer which has a USB adapter. Once the system is properly fired up, it's very good and my broadband speed is excellent. But initially it sometimes takes one or more restarts to get the adapter and the router to talk to each other. I have been told that I should have bought an IDE card, rather than a USB adapter - apparently they're much better.

By the way, don't imagine that you can plug an ISP-supplied free broadband modem into a router. You can't. Buy a router with an adsl modem built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5