Should i format the drives?

whippit 22:03 03 Oct 05

investing in another pc, so have just soldmy old one and parcelforce will pick it up tomorrow, should i format the drives or just remove my files etc and let the buyer format?

cheers

Forum Editor 22:17 03 Oct 05

you mustn't sell the computer with an operating system (or any other software) installed, unless you also pass on the necessary CD and licence sticker/documents/registration keys.

If you don't have those you should format the drive.

LastChip 22:26 03 Oct 05

If you want to make sure no data is available to your purchaser, you need to do a little more than format the drive. This would be relevant if you stored personal information such as credit card numbers, bank details, that type of thing. In this case, you should use a file shedding program, that destroys all your past data.

Formatting alone, does NOT destroy files, it simply makes those files inaccessible to the casual user and that space on the drive, available for further use. However, anyone with knowledge, can recover those files with relative ease.

whippit 22:55 03 Oct 05

have cd, keys etc and no bank details on the pc so recon it should be okay to just send as it is.

cheers

doggon 23:46 03 Oct 05

"Legally
you mustn't sell the computer with an operating system (or any other software) installed, unless you also pass on the necessary CD and licence sticker/documents/registration keys"

Would you mind clarifing the above statement for me please? i.e. Would the new owner be entitled to use the operating system and other installed software if he had the necessary CD's,documents keys etc?

Thanks.

doggon 23:50 03 Oct 05

Whoops,

typo, clarifing should read clarifying

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…