Should I format?

rosie 11:30 26 Sep 05

I've had some computer problems, shutting down, colour, refusing to boot except into safe mode, etc. All these have come at once and my supplier can't find anything seriously wrong. I see from the event log that there are error messages that all pertain to my slave drive D:\ - as I haven't anything very important on this drive (yet), should I try formatting this drive, or is it that the hardware itself is probably faulty?

rosie

zemdarin 11:34 26 Sep 05

Hi rosie
I would first try making sure all your plugs are in tight. at least until you hear them click. Sometimes they need a real firm push. If that doesn't work try taking them off and restart your computer to see if it still happens.

sil_ver 11:45 26 Sep 05

You could try disconnecting your slave drive to see if the problem goes away. If it does, try and download a diagnostic program from the HDD mfr. reconnect the drive and run the tests. First tho' I'd move anything you want to keep to another storage area, ie. the boot drive or a CD

woodchip 11:48 26 Sep 05

Try first a Disc check on both C:\ and D:\ drives you can get at this by going to My Computer double click it, Right click drives one by one go to tools and click Check disc reboot for it to do it's work. I would first do this with C:\ drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…