Should I connect router 2 PC before I get laptop?

Finally bought my router (Netgear in the end using the special offer given on here) which arrived from Amazon today. I'm not due to get the laptop for 2-3 weeks yet- is it worth connecting it to my PC via ethernet cable and getting that running before I get the laptop or is it best to leave it until the laptop arrives?

De Marcus™ 15:53 04 Oct 05

It's probably best to set it up ready now using the ethernet cable. You can have a fiddle and make sure your comfortable with the interface before setting the laptop up on it.

Thanks- bit nervous about it all (having read the "manual" or should I say "leaflet" it seems as clear as mud!) I wanted to make sure it was working as success on the Netgear one seems to be 50/50 !I'll have a potter with it tomorrow!

De Marcus™ 16:46 04 Oct 05

Well if you get stuck and the best of us do sometimes, all you have to do is plug (im being presumptious) your usb modem back in and post back.

Or pop around to dear old Dad's!

Forum Editor 18:36 05 Oct 05

have you pottered?

If you get stuck, post back. I've set up a fair number of Netgear routers, and I'm sure that between us we can sort out any problems.

Ended up helping out in school today so will have a Harry tomorrow- will post back if in trouble or indeed flushed with success!!

FE I am on my new router!! However there were a few dramas on the way (see my other postings!) Could you help me with the security settings now? I have posted separately!
Many thanks!

SOREBLADE 17:18 06 Oct 05

MAKE SURE YOU PUT SECURITY ON IT FIRST if you decide to plug it in and that make sure there's security on it I recived a virus through a network and saw him on the network so sent the virus back and a note saying "Don't mess with me I saw you, you now have your virus back as its your property I thought I'd give it back have fun with it!" then he didn't come back I bypassed his firewall & Antivirus!! >:)

I have Norton running but don't understand the WEp things etc (please check out my posting on security settings!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…