Should I compress drives to save disc space in XP

Halmer 22:05 06 Dec 03

What does this option do and should I tick it given that I only have a small hard drive of 10GB?

My Computer/Local Disc/Properties/General

Steven135 23:52 06 Dec 03

I have never tried to compress a drive jsu posting this to bump it up to the top, I dont imagine it will do any harm.

Have you cleared all your temp files and unistalled any programs that you don't use to get more space. Also defrag your drive (probably done all this already but you never know).

Second hard drives can be bought at very reasonable prices maybe a letter to Santa.

Steven135 23:52 06 Dec 03

jsu = Just :-(((

Forum Editor 00:17 07 Dec 03

and in Windows XP you can only compress a drive that is formatted as NTFS.

The problem with drive compression is that each time you want to open a file Windows has to decompress it - and then compress it all over again when you close, or save the file. All of this can slow your machine considerably, and unless you have a real space problem I would avoid it like the plague. Better to simply buy a bigger drive if your budget permits; they aren't really that expensive nowadays, and you could use the new drive for all your data - keeping the existing drive for Windows and programs.

If you must compress, then consider using WinXPs file zipping utility. This will compress files or folders on the fly, and will work with a FAT drive as well as NTFS. You won't see any performance decrease with zipped files, and there are other advantages. For one thing you can create a zipped folder and then simply drag files into it to compress them. You can also add password protection to files in a zipped folder.

Halmer 07:21 07 Dec 03

for the response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…