Should I buy new printhead - Canon printer?

RWBCAM 18:25 30 Nov 08

I have a Canon Pixma MP760 multi function printer. It works fine except when I print any colour photos or embeded colour images in a Word document. I have pink lines in the photos. When I do a "nozzle check" print the cyan (blue) lines also have some lines where the blue is missing.
I have tried cleaner cartridges, cleaning and deep cleaning the printhead using the printer's maintenance commands, with little improvement.
Finally, I took out the printhead and cleaned the matrix of dots underneath (I assume that these are the nozzles)using cotton buds and pure alcohol. It has made some further improvement but it's far from satisfactory.
My dilemma is now that I could order a new printhead at around £50 but if it doesn't work, I will have wasted my money and would maybe have been better off ditching this printer altogether and getting a new one. Any advice please???

jimv7 18:35 30 Nov 08

HP cartridges have the print head built in, new cartridge = new print head, on the canon side, print heads are expensive as you have found out.

RWBCAM 21:21 30 Nov 08

Thanks. I've tried running hot water through it but the result is just the same, i.e. on the nozzle check the two blue stripes are showing lines missing.

Simsy 22:00 30 Nov 08

a new printhead will sort you out. I've had a similar situation inthe past, but, as you can see, they are not cheap!

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 22:00 30 Nov 08

a new printhead will sort you out. I've had a similar situation in the past, but, as you can see, they are not cheap!

Regards,

Simsy

RWBCAM 22:03 30 Nov 08

Thanks Simsy.
Yes I'll try a new printhead. I've googled the printhead and the supplies company in Leeds have a returns policy, so I should be OK if it doesn't work.

David4637 13:38 01 Dec 08

I used a bottle of ink unblocker, then 3 hot water flushes, leave in a saucer of hot water overnight, repeated the process the following day and it worked. The longer you leave it in a saucer of hot water the better.
The secret is to run a small colour print test at least once per week. David

RWBCAM 16:24 01 Dec 08

Thanks David,

All these comments have saved me £60 for a new printhead. I soaked my printhead in hot water and it worked. All my vivid colours are back again.
Advice much appreciated!!

john bunyan 16:33 01 Dec 08

RBWCAM. Very interesting - see other threads today where I have reccomended the MP760 which I also have, for the vey reason of having a separate print head. So far mine is ok but I have noted the comments from David4637 with interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009