Should i bother with a firewall using xp?

bta1 22:05 15 Nov 03

I use xp home, and aol for my internet stuff. I remember reading somewhere that windows has its own firewall. If so does this mean i shouldn't bother using anything else.
I also use Norton, so am fairly sure my PC is safe and i know you can get firewalls pretty much anywhere but i am not sure if i need to.
What does anyone think?

porci 22:06 15 Nov 03

If you are just using a dial up you dont really need much more but if you are using broadband, then prevention is better than cure for definite and the firewall buily into XP isnt that great

VoG II 22:08 15 Nov 03

THe cXP firewall is crap and is not enabled by default.

Try Zone Alarm click here

Diodorus Siculus 23:45 15 Nov 03

Why use a firewall? I use it to determine what software gets the option of connecting to the network, rather than to see what is trying to come in.

the Xp built in firewall is not very good as VOG has pointedly pointed out, it does not block outbound traffic. Even with a dial-up connection you should deploy a firewall to proyect yourself AND others. without one you could allow all manner of things into your machine including attack zombies that make life difficult for the rest of us too.

james55 00:54 16 Nov 03

If you use NAV then use there firewall, you can't go wrong.

spuds 11:44 16 Nov 03

Be carefull in using the XP firewall with another product like ZoneAlarm.A friend had both of these programmes working together [which he didn't know at the time], and they caused problems with his BB connection.Freeserve and BT adviced him to use one only,and disable the other.This he did, and the BB problem was solved.

Gaz 25 12:24 16 Nov 03

Use Zonealarm or Agnitum click here

The XP firewall is poor, lets hope codename longhorn has a better firewall.

A firewall with just stop passers by, or most trojans from reaching home. Its best to just have one there, but dont worry if it pops up a lot, some is just normal.

bretsky 14:15 16 Nov 03

I have winxp home ed sp1 and use zone alarm with nav 2002 on a dialup connection wih no problems.
Xps own firewall dosn'tcover all ports that could be a portential backdoor for hackers so like me and all the people that that have replied get a third party f/wall-plenty to choose from! ......good luck........Bretsky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…