Should I be worried?

Gaz 25 12:24 04 Oct 04

I have ran SeaTools online on all my HDD's.

All of them pass the S.M.A.R.T tests and read/write tests. However on the file system check every one of my computers running windows xp either shows incosistences or major errors and bad blocks.

Strangely on my FAT32 drive it shows it ok.

Further to my findings on my windows xp NTFS machines i ran CHKDSK on all of them, and scheduled the bad block and auto fix options on next boot.

All passed CHKDSK with No errors.

Whats going on? Im worried my HDDs are failing.

They dont seem to make very abnormal noises, maybe some of them are a little loud but it doesnt seem faulty.

Regards,
Gareth

rawprawn 12:40 04 Oct 04

Strangely I have just been checking my HD's, and after chkdsk I was showing 8kb of bad sector. When I looked into it further using google I find that nearly all HD's have bad sectors, even new ones. Maybe the online check you used is using this tactic to get you to buy something ?. Anyway after what I read I am not worried about the HD's and like yours they seem to be performing OK.

Gaz 25 12:45 04 Oct 04

It's strange.

Yeah, thing is it's a seagate... so surely seagate shoudlnt be saying its own HDD has a problem.

Anyway, they are running ok, and dont seem to have any problems or currupt files.

However, I was also checking on google, and when windows is booted the results can be false because if files are loaded and when seatools tries to access them it says access denied, it reports an error, thus the reason for my bad results.

However my PC works fine. :-s strange!

JonnyTub 12:47 04 Oct 04

Just to add, i have four drives 1) 120gb, 6kb bad sectors, 2) 80gb no bad sectors, 3) 40gb 8 kb bad sectors, 4) 40gb no bad sectors.

Dorsai 12:57 04 Oct 04

I read somwhere that, as rawprawn said, all HDD's have some bad sectors, but that some drive manufacturers can somehow program the HDD hardware so as to 'ignore' that area of the platter, as it's know to be bad. Perhaps the diagnostic tool mentioned above is 'finding' these sectors, which to windows are invisible.

But if it runs ok, Why worry. Just do what should be done anyway, and have a backup just in case.

Gaz 25 16:24 04 Oct 04

I also read that bad sectors multiply and... juggle about.

I do know that manufacturer's do that, you send a drive back with bad sectors, and they simply program the HDD chipset to tell windows the drive is ok.

However I don't think they can spread because if the drive is programmed not to use the sector it aybe wont spread.

rawprawn 18:36 04 Oct 04

I really wouldn't worry unless you find that the bad sectors are increasing at a fairly alarming rate. If this occurs I think that there is a definate HD problem, but if not and the whole thing is working, ignore it.

Gaz 25 21:52 04 Oct 04

You can run the disc scan from here: click here

I used the File System check one that shown my drive as having errors.

woodchip 21:59 04 Oct 04

Just for info New drives all have bad clusters, these are marked out when a low level format is run by manufacturers. The faulty clusters are replaced by spare clusters that are extra on the drive. They do not spread like a disease. They are ether damage by a head crash when your computer is not shut down correctly, or a manufacturing fault when new.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…