Should I assume graphics card is faulty?

musicbassman 21:44 27 Jul 04

I have a 2 year old Evesham with an NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card. This has been fine until 2 weeks ago when some of my sons more demanding games programmes started freezing up. I have installed the latest driver from NVIDIA but this has made no difference. Should I assume the graphics card is the problem, or are there other possibilities?

andrew-196854 21:59 27 Jul 04

what games are they playing and have you tried some patches for the games

musicbassman 22:03 27 Jul 04

Two games which are most prone are Need for Speed Underground and Vice City. He has had both of these for a while and never had any problems

andrew-196854 22:11 27 Jul 04

you could try thisclick here it might help no harm in trying

musicbassman 22:26 27 Jul 04

Yes, thanks for that patch, but as the problem affects most of his games I suspect the card is on the blink. How can I check this, or do I just have to assume this is the problem and get another card?

THE TERMINATOR 23:25 27 Jul 04

Have you tried to do a restore to when all was ok....TT

andrew-196854 20:26 28 Jul 04

have you checked your device manager it will tell you if not do as the terminator says and do a restore

musicbassman 21:38 28 Jul 04

Thanks for responding guys. Device manager isn't picking up anything. I would need to do a restore point from about 3-4 weeks ago, and I have changed from dial up to broadband since then. Will this be affected? Methinks it would.

alansabout 22:10 28 Jul 04

Long shot but is worth a check, you say that you have now got bb, once you have that it is imperative that you have spy ware installed (try spybot) and up to date virus checker when I went over to bb all sorts of rubbish started to come through. played hell with the PC.

andrew-196854 22:17 28 Jul 04

yes your broadband would be affected just put the set up disc in again give it a try you never know

gudgulf 22:25 28 Jul 04

Might also be worth taking the side off the pc's case and checking for a build up of dust and/or any cooling fans not working.Overheating is another good cause for system freezes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…