Should I air caution when installing a new PSU

twoshoes 22:11 17 Jul 04

I have just bought a new power supply unit. It is an Antec TruePower 430 Watt ATX12V and will replace my 330 watt unit.

I'm slightly hesitant that once installed and I switch it on I will fry my whole system, motherboard graphics card etc. Is there a possibility of this happening or am I just being a stupid? I'm sort of assuming its a staight forward swap.

For your info my motherboard is an Abit KD7.

citadel 22:25 17 Jul 04

If your system is using say 300 of your 330 psu it will still use 300 of a 450 psu.

Graham ® 22:27 17 Jul 04

If the voltages are the same there should be no problem. Go for it.

Totally-braindead 22:28 17 Jul 04

Unless you somehow manage to connect up wrongly theres nothing to worry about. The plugs are designed to only fit one way, when you look at the connectors for the motherboard you'll see what I mean. You may be able to connect it up wrongly but you'd probably have to cut huge bits off the connector to do that. Just look at the connector, you've nothing to worry about. By the way good choice of power supply the Antec Trupower is meant to be a good one.

hillybilly 22:29 17 Jul 04

if you don't know then it's not a stupid question, you need an answer. Thats how most people that I know including myself learnt, we asked questions!

No you will not fry any thing if you put the right connectors on the right plugs, seeing as all the plugs go on everywhere are different shapes you cannot realyy do it wrong.

woodchip 22:30 17 Jul 04

All you need to check are the Volts on the PSU are set to 240

twoshoes 22:51 17 Jul 04

Cheers guys.

The only reason that I'm upgrading is in anticipation of the new graphics card requirements. That and the fact I've got a lot of peripherals running off my machine.

Is there any way of knowing how much wattage I'm actually using?

I also have another question regarding the connectors. It's quite difficult to explain and describe so bear with me. I've noticed that at the moment both my internal hard disks recieve power by just 1 lead which has 2 4-pin power supply connectors. And both my DVD drives are connected this way too. My new PSU has one lead with a 4-pin socket but then finishes with a flat socket which wont fit into the socket of my machine. There are 4 leads like this so I will have enough compatible sockets but it just means the second connector on each lead will be redundant and 'hanihg loose'. Again, I don't think this is a problem...

woodchip 23:00 17 Jul 04

The other plug is so you can fit a different power adapter

twoshoes 23:10 17 Jul 04

People, I am indebted to you all!

Dumble452 23:18 17 Jul 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…