Should the cpu fan blow towards or away from it?

theDarkness 21:01 04 Aug 09

If my system blows cool air in from the front fan, and air out from the rear case fan, should the cpu fan blow air in or out? Would it not make a large bit of difference? I have found alot of conflicting websites stating which is the best option. I am running an athlon 1.6gig, and am trying to find out which is the best set up.

GaT7 21:06 04 Aug 09

Both are fine. You can try each & see what works best for you. G

DieSse 21:07 04 Aug 09

It should blow down into the heatsink. However I have seen some tests that show there isn't a huge difference.

My opinion is that the degree of difference may depend on the exact design of the heatsink itself.

Some heatsinks have the fins oriented so that the air blown down into them blows out onto other components.

I've never seen a pre-assembled heatsink/fan which blows the air in any other way then down onto the heatsink.

woodchip 21:08 04 Aug 09

Does not matter but they normally blow into the heatsink. But Push Pull it should work both ways But you have to check shape of fan blades for best as they work in the same way as a aeroplane wing, flat side of blade is the side that air comes of the fan

woodchip 21:11 04 Aug 09

PS

The Last means you can mount the fan upside down. and it will not as it should. It will still work the same way blowing, but will not be as good as the correct way for it. As less air will flow through it

theDarkness 21:38 04 Aug 09

My earlier posts mentioned my system freezing for no reason. Having no patience, ive given it a good clean inside, got ridden of all dust, and given it a full reinstall of xp! If my system freezes up again then the processor overheating is the only thing i can think of, as the hd are always working well within temp limits. It seems to usually only happen when ive inserted a disc, which is odd, although im certain it happened once before during a auto hd clean up, noticed the system was frozen next day, mouse pointer wouldnt move! Ill have to switch off to check what shape the blades are for the cpu fan to make sure theyre in ok, if im not sure which way to put the fan ill put up a photo. Is there any good cpu temp progs out there so i can at least be fairly happy that no matter which way the fan is facing the cpu, its not getting too hot? thanks

woodchip 21:43 04 Aug 09

round side of blades should be toward you flat to heatsink

dwaynedibbly 21:54 04 Aug 09

As others have said, it shouldn`t make that much difference.
I switched to using a fanless cpu heat sink some time ago.
click here for example.
Fitted it myself in about half an hour.
Reduces fan noise and cpu temperature dropped as well.
It really is a case, of try one or two options and see what is best.
Personally I would like to go for a water cooled system. But call me old fashioned, water and leccy just shoudln`t mix.

Stuartli 22:23 04 Aug 09

>>water and leccy just shoudln`t mix.>>

Not the level of voltage you may be thinking is involved in this instance.

What about those who have an electric shower unit?

Mind you that's something I wouldn't entertain...:-)

Without taking my system's case apart at this time of night, I'm pretty certain that the CPU fan (a big Gigabyte model for an Athlon XP 3200+) draws hot air away from the processor.

Seems to me that it wouldn't be much use directing the cool air at what would be a cul-de-sac.

citadel 22:57 04 Aug 09

freezing at odd times for no reason is more likely to be a faulty psu as power blips on the rails causes a stop.

jack 08:24 05 Aug 09

is cast and the electricals are fitted the fan- if still the original is a 'One Way Fit'
Even if it is a 'Mod' would this still be the case?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced