Shortcuts will not stop appearing

Riosas 19:31 16 Feb 05

Hello everyone
Could you please help me as this is driving me nuts.
I have a newly built PC with two hard drives.
One removable 20Gb backup, and one partitioned 200Gb (into 20/180GB) with Windows on the 20Gb partition an data on the180Gb. The problem is that every time I open any document or picture or play a MP3 file the PC decides to place a shortcut into the My Documents folder on my 180Gb drive. Is there a way to stop Windows doing this?!
Thank you all for your reply as my Bin is getting fuller...................

Halmer 19:48 16 Feb 05

Disable Automatic Document Shortcuts in My Network Places.
Every time you open a document via a network -from a resource without a drive letter- Windows will automatically create a short cut to that document in My Network Places. If you open a lot of document this way the list in My Network Places soon becomes cluttered and confusing. This makes this function less useful.

To turn of this function start the Registry Editor (go to Start, Run and type Regedt32). Find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer and add the DWORD value NoRecentDocsNetHood. Set the value to 1.
To turn on the function set the value to 0.

Riosas 15:48 09 Mar 05

Hello Halmer
Thanks for your reply but this does not seem to work.
I think there must be a problem in the way that I installed the Hard Drives as Windows will also not let me Rename or Create a Shortcut in Drive E:/ .
My two Drives are not on a network but in one PC and on one IDE cable:Drive C:\Windows and Programs 20Gb
partition on 200Gb Main Drive.
E:\My Documents folder on 180Gb partition of 200Gb Main Drive.
Backup Drive G:\ 20Gb (My old drive from my previous PC)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…