Shortcuts give message 'document already open..'

Awestruck 19:45 03 Sep 05

On a friends computer with WinXP, any shortcut to a file (.doc or .xls)results in a message on the lines of 'document already open. Do you wish to make a copy' On clicking Cancel the message goes away and she can edit the document. I tried producing Desktop shortcuts of files on my machine and these work normally. What is happening on my friend's machine?

Thanks in anticipation.

Graham ® 20:02 03 Sep 05

An easy one to try first, check the filing system: Start, Run, sfc /scannow, OK. It may ask for the XP disk.

Eric10 20:17 03 Sep 05

Try right-clicking a file and choosing 'Open'. If they work ok like that then it is probably a problem with the double click speed of the mouse.

stlucia 12:45 05 Sep 05

There's a setting somewhere (Start > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse > Buttons tab) which allows you to open files with a single-click. Check that this is set to open files with a double-click otherwise, if you double-click as you normally do, you are effectively trying to open the file twice.

Awestruck 22:23 16 Sep 05

Thank you for your advice but I tried your tests and sadly none gave a positive result. Has any one another suggestion please.

lotvic 23:03 16 Sep 05

click here
please note you do NOT have to sign up to see the solution, just scroll down to the bottom of the page and it is shown there in full.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…