Shortcuts don't work!

NirvanaGuy 14:26 06 Nov 04

For some bizzare reason, all my shortcuts (.LNK) don't work. Can someone please tell me what is in the box under the heading Application used to perform this action:

To find this, go to View in a folder, click the file type tab, then click the LNK extension, then edit, then highlight Open, then click edit...
...this is a most annoying problem, which I've never faced before. I think some sort of registry hack from some malware has done this.

Please state what the application used to perform this action is.

Thank you!

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 06 Nov 04

TweakUI will, I believe, repair shortcuts - download the relevant version for your OS from Microsoft.

NirvanaGuy 14:40 06 Nov 04

Thanks for the sugguestion but I already have TweakUI and the repair icon function is only for shortcuts that are displaying the wrong icon.

My problem is that the extension .LNK doesn't know what to do.

But thanks. If you could follow my steps above, I could get the answer that way.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 15:00 06 Nov 04

Go to this site
click here

Look down the list and download the
LNK (Shortcut) file association fix

This will fix the registry for you, and restore your lnk shortcuts to work properly again.

NirvanaGuy 15:36 06 Nov 04

Thanks JaßîsFaß ˜ thats what I exactly what I need, but I'm not running WindowsXP. SOrry I should have said, I'm running 98SE

woodchip 15:40 06 Nov 04

If you do not have many shortcuts with the problem just go to the Program .exe file in Explorer right click it and drag to desktop, choose create shortcut, delete the old ICON

NirvanaGuy 15:44 06 Nov 04

It's all of my shortcuts woodchip.
I just need someone to tell me what the application is for opening the .LNK extension.

My instructions are above to how to find it.
Thats all I need really.

woodchip 15:46 06 Nov 04

if you do what i said you do not need to go into regedit

NirvanaGuy 15:53 06 Nov 04

I don't regedit anyway.
Its in folder options, view file types, and its editing the application and the action that the extension needs.

I tried your sugguestion and it doesn't work. But thank you!

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:01 06 Nov 04

Link to this click here and look for the 'Problem: Shortcut (lnk) files don't work or don't display the correct icon' link

NirvanaGuy 22:54 06 Nov 04

JaßîsFaß ˜ your are amazing! Thanks so much for the link, it worked a treat!

If this wasn't the internet, I would buy you a pint!

This was one of the most annoying problems I have ever had! What's really weird though, is the fact that the LNK isn't listed in my File Types dialog box anymore...

...where's it gone?! LOL (I don't care!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…