Shortcuts configuration problem

gatortail 18:09 07 Feb 03

Something happened to change the privacy settings on my XPHome. The only way I can get shortcuts on Desktop and Start menu to work is to right click and uncheck the "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity" box each time I want to use them. How can I uncheck them all again, and what could have changed these settings without my awareness of it happening?

gatortail 18:16 07 Feb 03

Sorry, I forgot to add that after right clicking on shortcut, I have to choose "run As...", then uncheck above mentioned box.

gatortail 20:37 16 Feb 03

None of my shortcuts have the "Run with different credentials" box ticked.

watchful 20:56 16 Feb 03

Have you tried System Restore to just before this happened?

gatortail 22:07 16 Feb 03

Yes, I have tried all of the restore points tht are available, but no change.

gatortail 03:53 17 Feb 03

Before this gets buried for lack of sexiness or something, it's really important that I resolve this so as to be able to run programs. Now that The obvious things have been ruled out, I would appreciate it if I could even get pointed in some logical direction to persue.

watchful 10:28 17 Feb 03

What I don't understand is that on my desktop shortcuts - the one's that have a 'run as ...'are all checked and they work fine.

gatortail 18:25 17 Feb 03

Do you mean they work fine as a normal shortcut when you double-click on them without using the "run as"? I get nothing if I just double-click a shortcut anymore. (a few do work OK)
There's more as well, I just didn't want to confuse things with--in Control Panel, some applications require that I left-click, then hold "Shift" while I right-click in order to get a "run as" to treat in the above way (I found that trick by luck on an unrelated forum post.)

watchful 18:46 17 Feb 03

Yes, mine work fine with a double click. Have never used the run as...

watchful 18:48 17 Feb 03

The circle with current user is also checked with a green dot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…