Shortcut tinkering....

Maughan 14:46 08 Apr 03

I am running Outlook 2002 [not Express] on Windows XP Home. I run two Users (me and my wife).

I was tinkering with my wife's settings (always dangerous) including cleaning up her desktop by removing a few shortcuts.

One of the shortcuts was the Outlook icon (which did not appear as a shortcut, ie. it didn't have the little arrow thingamajig). I thought it was OK to do this as there is an Outlook icon in both the Start menu and on the menu shortcuts on the taskbar.

Whenever my wife now tries to open Outlook, she is prompted to create a new profile. An error message announces that "No profiles have been created. To create a new profile use the mail icon in the control panel". Another message says that "Cannot start MS Outlook. The server is not available".

When I have experimented with the new profile Wizard, it states that "Outlook is not completely configured on your computer."

I don't want to create a new profile if the old one can be rescued easily, eg. by replacing the Outlook icon on the desktop (but I can't find it in the Recycle Bin).

Her recent, unread emails appear just fine in her inbox on the ISP's website, so it is clearly a computer fault (ie. mine) rather than the ISP's fault.

Any suggestions for how I can get the icon back and/or retrieve my wife's old/existing profile? [System Restore doesn't have this effect and dragging and dropping the icons in the Start menu and taskbar just results in the same prompts.]

Many thanks!

Maughan

Sir Radfordin™ 14:55 08 Apr 03

You could try doing a repair of Office. Put the install CD-ROM in and when it auto-runs select the repair installation. One of the options is to put your shortcuts back so make sure thats selected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…