Shortcut for "Standy By" in XP

twitcher 14:09 12 May 03

On page 9 of the latest edition of PC Advisor Tips and Tricks are instructions for creating desktop shortcuts for shutting down and rebooting Windows XP. Is there a shortcut for putting the computer into “Stand By” mode?

Having successfully set up the two shortcuts, I found the icon for “Turn Off” but can anybody tell me where I can find the icons for “Stand By” and “Restart”?

spikeychris 14:15 12 May 03

There probably is but if you click here you can download shutdown.exe that will do the job.

Chris

spikeychris 14:19 12 May 03

Not what you want is it ;o) its a command prompt..

spikeychris 14:22 12 May 03

Theres the option of going to Control Panel - Power Options, Advanced and select 'When I
press the power button on the computer'
"Standby"

©®@$ђ 14:36 12 May 03
  twitcher 18:05 12 May 03

I downloaded the recommended "Shutdown.exe" program which promises that it show how to put the computer into "Stand By (Sleep)" mode. I followed the "Short instructions for novice users" paragraph and obtained the information on supported switches. Perhaps I am missing something but, although there are prompts of "s = shutdown" and "r = restart" shown, I could find one for "Stand By". Where am I going wrong?

spikeychris 18:09 12 May 03

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

spikeychris 18:11 12 May 03

Supported switches:

-l -> Log Off.

-u -> Shutdown (Turn Off).

-r -> Restart.

-h -> Hibernate.

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

-f -> Force the action.

-c -> Cancel a running shutdown.

-t sec -> Delay for number of seconds

click here

Chris

twitcher 22:07 12 May 03

Chris

I’m confused. The advice in PC Adviser Tips & Tricks gave the following shortcut entry for closing down XP:- %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00. I have set this up and it works. However the “Shutdown.exe” site gives the “-s” switch for “Stand By (Sleep)” mode. It gives the “-u” switch for “Shutdown (Turn Off)” but I have tried this, thinking it might be the “Stand By” switch shown in error, but it doesn’t work. HELP!!!

graham√ 22:22 12 May 03

Have you got a 'moon' key, top right on your keyboard?

graham√ 22:23 12 May 03

Sorry, top left. ( My doctor told me this would happen).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…