Shortcut to PDF document won't work

Charlie Babbage 20:27 31 May 06

I've set up a shortcut to a PDF document on my desktop. However, when I click on the shortcut icon, I get the warning dialog box which states 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.'

I have gone to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options and clicked on the 'File Types' tab. Under 'Registered file types Extensions' is listed 'PDF Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Document' so I don't understand why the file won't open.

If I launch Adobe Acrobat first, I can then open the file but loose the convenience of the shortcut.

Any assistance given would be much appreciated. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:10 31 May 06

If you right click on the shortcut on your desktop and click properties,it should show the path to your .pdf file
Example: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat7.0\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:12 31 May 06

How did you make the shortcut, if you use the "send to" function it should place a shortcut on the desktop that works.

Gongoozler 21:14 31 May 06

Hi Charlie Babbage. It certainly looks like you're doing the right thing. Right click on the shortcut and select "Properties" Then copy the "Target" file name and paste it here so we can see what it is without any risk of you inadvertantly changing it. Not that I expect to find anything wrong, but mistakes easily creep in.

woodchip 21:28 31 May 06

Can you open a PDF if you double click the file?

If not remove Adobe and Load foxit reader it faster better and a fraction the disc space used
click here

Charlie Babbage 09:10 01 Jun 06

Hertz Van Rentyl

Yes, I did make the shortcut using the 'send to' function and that's why I'm puzzled it won't work

Gongoozler

A specimen 'Target' file name is 'ReceivedFiles\NetObjects GettingStarted.pdf'

Woodchip

No, I can't open the PDF by double clicking the file name in the 'Received Files' folder. The only way to open the file is to launch Adobe, then File>Open

Any further ideas??

woodchip 10:19 01 Jun 06

As above I had this problem, that's why I changed to Foxit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…