Shortcut

theodor 22:54 12 Apr 05

I have created a desktop shortcut to Google (Win XP home)and want to know if there is a way to make it open in a new IE window instead of hijacking an existing open IE window. Thanks

woodchip 22:57 12 Apr 05

This will happen in any browser the Benefit of Netscape or Firefox is tabbed browser so you can open a blank page then press the shortcut

theodor 23:10 12 Apr 05

Yes, Woodchip, I remember doing it in Netscape and I am thinking of trying Firefox - Thanks anyway.

Arthur Scrimshaw 23:21 12 Apr 05

but if you hold the shift key down whilst clicking on the shortcut it will open a new window.

theodor 09:43 13 Apr 05

Thanks Arthur, but that dosen't work on my machine, it still uses an existing open IE window.

Arthur Scrimshaw 22:39 13 Apr 05

in IE - go to 'tools' - 'internet options' - 'advanced' - look under 'browsing' untick the box 'Reuse window for launching shortcuts'

hope it works

theodor 14:30 14 Apr 05

Thanks Arthur - thats done the trick (untick the box 'Reuse window for launching shortcuts') I don't remember seeing that option before! Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…