short cuts and updates

raggy 2 14:47 30 Oct 08

Hi can anyone tell is there a way of updating the short cuts i have on my desktop on my work PC. Im not sure if explaining properly, but basically when update on an excel spreadsheet is done by someone in IT we have to delete our short cuts etc then when update to that is done we put the short cuts back on the desktop, can the short cut not be updated automatically when this is done by IT dept

Rahere 17:37 30 Oct 08

Hi raggy 2

If I understand correctly you have a shared spreadsheet and if it's changed by someone you have to open the sheet again?

hope I'm on the right track!

raggy 2 15:45 04 Nov 08

Hi Rahere, you are correct it is a shared spreadsheet that is located on the companies shared drive and occasionally as it has a price list for our products it gets updated and i was wondering if when this is done can the short cut on my desktop be update automatically rather than deleting the short cut going into the drive where the file is, then open the file and then create a new short cut.

raggy 2 15:47 04 Nov 08

Hi Rahere, you are correct it is a shared spreadsheet that is located on the companies shared drive and occasionally as it has a price list for our products it gets updated and i was wondering if when this is done can the short cut on my desktop be update automatically rather than deleting the short cut going into the drive where the file is, then open the file and then create a new short cut.

Rahere 15:50 04 Nov 08

Hi raggy

If the file is updated and saved as another file then your old shortcut isn't going to point to the new file. Perhaps you could have a shortcut to the folder in which the most current file resides so you don't have to keep changing the target - you will have to choose the correct file if there is more than one but it's a viable workaround....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant