short cut arrows

big staff 11:25 03 May 03

Can anyone tell me how to remove the arrows on desktop shortcuts? Thanks, John

flecc 11:29 03 May 03

The easy way to remove arrows from shortcuts is to use TweakUI which you can download from the following link:-

click here

The hard way is by editing the registry, so click Start, Run, type: regedit ,then press Enter. Then click Registry, Export Registry File, select All, and save a registry backup to the desktop. Once you’ve done that, navigate to the following and delete any ‘Is Shortcut’ value from each of them:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnifile

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile

Forum Editor 11:31 03 May 03

called Tweakui to do this - and many otger things.

Tweakui is part of a group of non-Microsoft tools called Powertoys, and although they aren't supported by Microsoft they are foolproof and useful. You can find out all about Powertoys (for WinXP in this case) if you
click here

If you are running an earlier version of Windows you should be able to find a Powertoys folder on the installation CD.

flecc 11:32 03 May 03

That TweakUI is for Windows 98/ME etc, XP needs a different version which comes with the XP powertoys, but I don't know if that removes the shortcut arrows.

The Microsoft site for Powertoys is:-

click here

Forum Editor 11:32 03 May 03

but flecc types a little faster than me!

flecc 11:34 03 May 03

Thanks FE. I wasn't sure about the Powertoys version.

flecc 11:36 03 May 03

I cheated, I used copy and paste from my files!

big staff 11:37 03 May 03

Many thanks for that everyone. I'll get busy. John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…