Shorcut to Google not working on desktop

The Pretender 21:25 31 Mar 03

I have all sorts of shortcuts on my desktop - this site, eBay, QXL Google etc. For some reason the shortcut to Google has stopped working. I have deleted the existing shortcut and created a new one by right clicking on Google in my favourites and sending to my desktop, but it still doesn't work. All the existing shortcuts continue to work normally. I just can't understand this, does anyone have any ideas? I have recently upgraded to XP Professional, is this relevant?

jazzypop 21:30 31 Mar 03

Try a shortcut to google.com (or google.co.uk - whichever one is not the one you are currently using).

I claim tonights award for the most horribly mangled grammar :)

The Pretender 07:57 01 Apr 03

Thanks for the suggestion, bizarrely I've now got 2 shortcuts to Google ( 1 to .com and 1 to co.uk )on my desktop and neither of them work!!

Taff36 09:44 01 Apr 03

Try this - I use XP professional and I`ve just done this one.

Forget about your current Favourites shortcut. If this works delete it and re-instate it later.

On your desktop right click and select New > shortcut. A wizard appears asking you to type the location of the item. Type google`s address using .co .uk (No need to put in http// - XP recognises anything with www. as requiring the prefix and puts it in automatically)

Then type a name for the shortcut and click finish. It should now work OK.

The Pretender 13:30 01 Apr 03

I followed your instructions and it works a treat.
Many thanks for your help, I was beginning to think I was going mad!
Will tick as resolved as it will probably help a few people in the future.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…