ShieldsUp security warnings

TonyW2 18:46 29 May 07

As a relative newby, I followed suggestions in a Sunday newspaper and ran the security tests known as Shields Up.
I am now paranoid, as there are warnings (but no advice on action needed) that Port 21, 23 & 80 are open and should receive attention, along with advice that File Sharing is enabled and should be disconnected as it is a security hazard,not needed for simple internet use.
Apart from not reading articles which I don't fully understand, what action, if any, do I really need to take, or is this just a normal report?
I run XP with ZA as a firewall and have a wireless secured set-up.
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:38 29 May 07

Port 80
When a user types in your IP address or Host Name in their browser, the browser will look at the IP address on port 80 by default for the web pages.

Open - Ready to host your own Website. Run Apache, Xitami or Microsoft IIS/Personal WebServer and you instantly have your own WebSite!

It is my understanding that many web browsers operate on a local port 80.
This means that not only do they connect to the web server on port 80, but open port 80 on your own machine. This might explain why your port 80 is open.

Port 21
When someone attempts to connect to your FTP Server, the FTP client will attempt the connection on Port 21 by default. Port 21 must be open for standard FTP clients to log in and connect to your server.

Port 23
If you run a Telnet server, this port is required for the Telnet Client to connect to your server. Telnet can be used for other ports to check services, but in order to use telnet for remote admin and login, port 23 must be open.

How to configure Zonealarm click here

File Sharing is enabled by default in XP Home.

I run XP with ZA as a firewall and have a wireless secured set-up.
As long as you have an antivirus program and antispyware then you are well protected

TonyW2 20:44 29 May 07

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5