Shicon 98

My PC regularly displays the following error message: "Shicon 98 This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Quit all programs and then restart your computer. If the problenm persists, contact the program vendor"

If I look under "Details", the dialog box tells me that "SHICON98 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff7d76b."

Clicking on close does nothing and I can't even switch the machine off using the start menu. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work either - the screen hangs in the desktop.

My machine is a 550 Mhz PIII running Win98 SE.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Gongoozler 18:09 25 Jan 03

Londonpride, you have a program called SHICON98, or a program containing the file SHICON98.EXE, and that is causing this problem. I suspect it is a program connected with an icon utility. It is probably being launched from the start menu. See if you can find it from Start - Run - msconfig - Startup, and if you do, untick the box. The alternative place that may be launching it is Start - Programs - StartUp. If you know what program you installed that included this exe file, then you may decide to uninstall it.

Thanks for the advice - I didn't realise what an interesting dialogue box opens in msconfig!

I found the culprit - it's a USB driver for a multi-card reader for my MMC, SD and CF cards that I'll re-install. Hope that will sort it!

Gongoozler 07:46 26 Jan 03

Hi Londonpride. I'm pleased you found the cause of the problem that quickly. Have a look at the card reader manufacturers web site and see if they have a new driver for it.

Meanwhile a couple of other utilities from Start - Run. Start - Run - regedit is the registry editor, but use with care, if you make any incorrect changes you may find it very difficult to get Windows working again. Start - Run - sysedit gives you an editor for the autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini, system.ini and protocol.ini files, Start - Run - dxdiag is a very useful utility for looking at your DirectX, sound and graphics installation, Start - Run - sfc starts the System File Check utility for when you have problems with any of the system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…