shhhhhh computer!

billee007 14:30 27 Mar 04

Anyone got any tips on how to build a silent PC?

I would like to leave mine on for most of the day, but the fan is just too noisy. Have tried replacing with adjustable speed fan, but no joy.

Do I need to replace the case?

leo49 14:36 27 Mar 04

See the recent series of interesting articles re quietening your PC at Fred Langs's site:

click here

leo49 14:37 27 Mar 04

"LangA's" - sorry Fred.

hugh-265156 14:51 27 Mar 04
  hugh-265156 14:53 27 Mar 04

also see click here

lining the case with cheap rubber car mats work well from my own experiece and dont bump up the heat to much.

billee007 21:03 27 Mar 04

cheers guys, most helpful......

Gongoozler 21:21 27 Mar 04

I have recently fitted a very quiet cpu cooler. It is the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 Tc click here. It achieves the low noise level by using a much larger fan than usual, with more efficiently shaped blade tips and also by being thermostatically controlled so it only runs at full speed when the processor is working really hard. I'm sure that there are even quieter fans but at under £10, this is doing a great job on my 1.6G Duron.

Paranoid Android 21:25 27 Mar 04

My favourite topic.

First of all, I have fitted a 'silent' power supply, an Enermax 350 watt job with adjustable fan speed.

I started off with a Zalman flower cooler on the CPU, but now I use a Coolermaster HSF with an 80mm quiet fan. It runs at around 2300 rpm and is controlled by a Zalman fan-mate controller. This cools the 2500 Barton adequately. I am thinking of trying a Thermaltake Silent Boost HSF, I'll let you know how I get on.

My case fan is a 92mm Nidec thermal sensing fan (I wanted larger but couldn't fit) mounted near the CPU just below the PSU. This also has a Fan-mate controller, when cool it runs around 1000 rpm and lifts to 1600 rpm or so when things warm up. You just can't hear it. The fan aperture has been cut out with a hole cutter, leaving an 87mm plain hole for the fan with no obstructions. A wire grille is fitted to the outside.

The front of the case has no fans, but again the fan grille has been removed with a 76mm hole cutter and replaced with a chrome wire grille.

There is a futher 87mm hole in the bottom of the case, with a chrome wire grille. I have fitted deeper feet on the case to provide ground clearance, and the whole unit stands on a wooden stand 5 inched off the floor.

My Nothbridge heat sink is passive.

My Graphics card (ti4200) is fitted with a Zalman passive heatpipe cooler, very nice and totally silent.

I use a Maxtor Diamondmax 9 hard disk, this is very quiet but runs a little on the hot side. Soon to be replaced by a Samsung Spinpoint which is just as good but runs a lot cooler.

My second HDD, which is used for backups, is in a caddy so I take it out when not needed.

The whole case is lined with Akasa acoustic matting.

For excellent quiet-running PC gear you can do no better than to visit who have loads of gear dedicated to silencing your monster. They even do a 'Hush kit' starter pack.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…