Sharing Word with limited facility users

Mike_R 11:21 11 Nov 07

My grandchildren's desktop is running under XP. In an efort to control number one grandson from over use, I have installed AccessBoss and knocked his user status to "limited" to prevent him getting into my Administrator user. But in doing so, I've locked him out of Microsoft Word etc so he can't do his homework. I've searched around but can't get the software to be accessible to limited users.
I'd be grateful for advice on how I can get around this problem.

brundle 12:46 11 Nov 07

Which version of Word?

Mike_R 13:07 11 Nov 07

Sorry. Don't know. I will check when I next visit in a few days time.

Mike_R 16:20 15 Nov 07

Word is in Microsoft Works 8.

Diemmess 17:28 15 Nov 07

........Implies more than one g-child but not your personal one?

If so, what are you anxious to block from the enthusiast's probing?

I think, though no experience of this, you would do better to prevent access to folders reserved to the Administrator i.e. you.

I'm thinking here of mucking about with the O.S. though if he is really bent on trying everything then BIOS itself would still be vulnerable.

If it is Internet sites and you want to restrict access to some, it will be difficult but possible.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as childproof and crashing around trying this and that is to an entusiastic child part of the fun.

After all there is the old joke that if Grandad doesn't know what to do, an eight year old certainly will.

Incidently Word in MS Works is quite different from the MS flagship of Word from MS Office. Wordpad(a part of Windows XP) is quite adequate for simple word processing.

Mike_R 17:56 16 Nov 07

Number 1 grandson is not probing. He is addicted to online games on a PC installed in his bedroom (big mistake). I've installed AccessBoss to limit his usage but I've realised that if he has Administrator status, under XP he can change the password on my user and so use the PC all night. The problem is that the user holding AccessBoss cannot be limited by AccessBoss, and the grandchildren need access to Works8 for their homework, and Works8 is locked out to limited users.
It is a weakness in XP that allows a person with Asministrator privilege to change other user passwords.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5